Afternoon Delights + « Aperitif » Tour
Enjoy a visit to cheese shop, wine specialist, a 100 year old kitchen shop and others as you prepare your own French « Apero ».
Afternoon Delights + "Aperitif"
4:30 PM to 7 PM (2.5 – 3hrs)
Small group: up to 10 participants
60€ / person
Are you arriving in the afternoon and you’d like a chance to get oriented to Aix en Provence, all while getting your first taste of this friendly and delicious city? Or perhaps you’d like a pre-dinner activity, just as the locals do, enjoying an “aperitif” before heading to your selected restaurant? We love the end of the day for the opportunities it presents. The afternoons are relaxed in Aix en Provence; the morning farmers market crowds have dissipated and we can get the full attention of our merchants for the pleasure of our guests on our small group tour.
Our Afternoon Delights neighborhood tour introduces you to the engaging history of Aix en Provence, while we set off along the lines of an ambulatory afternoon tea to start. We’ll enjoy some sweet tastings at historic pastry shops throughout our walk and we’ll stop for a tea or “un café” at a local’s coffee roastery. Then, we’ll take a break to visit one the city’s gastronomic institutions, an « epicerie »/kitchen supplies shop, run for over 100 years by 3 generations. This Aladdin’s Cave sells every important French food & wine service tool imaginable, as well as a selection of the finest foods of the country. Of course, we will pick up something unique to sample from this very special place.
Next, we’ll continue on with our “Aperitif” preparation, collecting other tastings from food specialists in the heart of the old town on our locals’ tour. Of course, we’ll need a freshly baked baguette from the “boulangerie” and cheese from the cellars of the “fromagerie”. We might just throw in a few other surprises before our last stop at the “caviste” or wine shop. Having gathered our little « aperitif buffet », we’ll perch at the counter and enjoy a Provence vintage, hand selected by the friendly wine merchants. They are very chatty and we are sure to learn what happens to your taste buds when you combine food and wine, especially when making the right pairings.
Having experienced a delightful afternoon, your very own “apero” in Aix en Provence, and a very local culinary experience, you’ll be ready to head off to your dinner reservation at one of the many wonderful restaurants in this charming town.
This Food Tour includes:
- Visits and tastings at historic food purveyors, including sweet and savory flavors
- A stop for tea/artisanal coffee
- Wine tasting with a range of “aperitif” treats collected along the way
- A “Calisson” tasting (the historic town candy, with a 700year old food heritage)
- Engaging history and an orientation to the town
- A copy of the exclusive Foodies’ Guide to Aix en Provence, pocked with tips for dining, drinking and shopping.
- Wear shoes comfortable for walking on cobblestone streets.
- Tours run rain or shine (though it is most likely to shine in Aix en Provence!).
- A confirmation and meeting point details will be emailed to you upon reservation.
- We use an automated booking system that will send you a “generic” confirmation, followed by a friendly reminder the night before your foodie tour.